Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My defense: House Bunny is pretty great

I'm sorry, but is that not the most hilarious movie poster you've ever seen?

What a pleasant surprise. The reviews have been scathing, but I went with my friend on a whim because we both have a great appreciation for Anna Faris and her comic stylings. Let me say this: if you go into a film like this already having made pre-judgments, this WILL be a bad film. I chose to go with none, and I found myself constantly laughing throughout.

Ms. Faris is absolutely hilarious because she never winks at us as she plays a sweetly innocent Playboy bunny – yes, that’s right – who just wants to be loved. She is utterly likeable and honest as she befriends 7 loser sorority girls who need to find 30 pledges or they will lose their house. A standard set-up for a film of this ilk, but it did the job. What worked were Faris’s ability to constantly remain sincere and friendly, and the other girls’ extreme transformation whilst always retaining their dorky humour and humbleness.

The Playboy mansion itself is an oddly unsexual playpen for these women in bikinis, and that was fine by me because the message of this film was actually worthwhile for families. Initially it seems like the film is saying that we all need to be pretty and liked, but through the arc of the characters (yes, believe it or not, House Bunny has an arc) they learn to accept each other for who they are, if perhaps slightly more confident and sociable.

So I laughed, and learnt something, what more could I want from a film called House Bunny? Political and social commentary? Whip pans and dolly moves? I’ll be fine. 3.5/5.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry dude it wasn't funny