Wednesday, October 22, 2008

But wait...


Yesterday I viewed Burn After Reading, the Coen Bros latest film. It was filled with despicable, selfish, loathsome, vain, sex-hungry characters who I generally detested. They killed off the two characters I found the most appealing. KILLED THEM OFF!

But I thought the film was oodles of fun.

My friend Irakli inisisted that Brad Pitt was miscast as the gay fitness instructor. Shame on you Irakli, Brad's my man and he was awesomely funny. BTW did anyone notice that they didn't mention Brad's gayness once in the film?

But wait, that's a bit of a pot calling a kettle black says my Just Friends-loving housemate / former friend Jacques [see previous post].

Nay, I say, nay. For whilst that hackfest Just Friends expected me to invest emotion and empathy for its dernaged and vile characters, Burn After Reading activally encouraged me to laugh at their foolish antics. There was no happy ending, pat meet cutes, or even a pop song telling me to feel all tingly inside. If Burn After Reading had no soul, it was very much aware of this and found great pleasure at poking fun of itself. The final scene even has two people questioning the relevance of the film's message, and the other guy just kind of shrugs.

Awesome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

more like burn after watching right guys?