Thursday, September 11, 2008

Music Copyright. WHY???? Update

So I have finally tracked down the publishers for “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” and here is what 1 out of the 3 record labels said to me:

They are charging $1500 per 30 seconds for any use WITHIN the film.

They are charging $2500 per 30 seconds for any use in the END CREDITS.

What a joke.

Why?

- The license is for 1 year

- The license is only for festival submissions, hence the film cannot be sold, reproduced, distributed, screened on the internet or any other medium

- This record company only owns 41.6% of the song!

- My film had a $1000 budget and let’s be honest here stands to not make a dime

- After all this is paid for and sorted out, I would STILL need to get permission from (and most probably cough up more dough) to Death Cab For Cutie themselves, who don’t even bother to return my emails!

Kill me now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you do realise that the song wasn't written by death cab for cutie right?

Jezza said...

Yeah man they were barely in the equation. Anyways new song, moved on. Screw em all.