Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hollywood and the Anorexia Situation

A few weeks ago saw the premiere of the updated, revamped Beverly Hills 90210 TV show.

The results were mixed at best. Seventh Heaven-style family values were uncomfortable nestled with Melrose Place-like sexual antics. And please do not forget that these characters are 16, not 36.

Take note: token plack kid in middle, next to mum from Full House

But the main issue I had with this show was the ridiculously skinny actresses the producers seem intent on hiring. Tuning in for the first time to its competitor Gossip Girl as a point of comparison, the results were slightly better. The family values were pretty much zilch or at least more credible, and the sexuality was pulled down a notch. The girls were, of course, thin and pretty, but they at least looked HEALTHY.


Meet Silver from Beverly Hills.
Now that you've met her, please buy her a burger!

This then reminded of one of the worst films of this year: Wanted (2008). Directed by some Russian hack who insisted on filming everything in CGI, at slow-motion, with the background noise of a heart beat, and generally following a bullet, I felt like hurling, and the only reason I didn’t is because the filmmakers did not deserve that strong a reaction from myself. They simply have my indifference. And they will never have my money again.

Returning to the point, however, the reason I was reminded of Wanted is because Angelina Jolie was so thin, that I would not be surprised if she simply disappeared mid-may through the film [this, of course, would have been preferable]. It was therefore not a surprise to find that the editor had decided to DELETE the sex scene between her and James McAvoy that I so clearly viewed in the trailer. Surely the test screening audiences were complaining about her need for a burger or two.


Angelina's new talent: fitting through cracks in windows.


Why does Hollywood insist on sending out a message to all the young tykes that beauty is based on your ability to fit between cracks in walls? Lord hail Kim Kardashian and her sexy curves.

Am I the only one who does not get aroused by the sight of bones protruding from flesh? I like flesh on my women thank you very much. Here endeth the lesson.

Kim Kardashian. Now here is a hot woman. Plus she must like burgers.

No comments: