Saturday, December 20, 2008

End of Year Blues?

Every year from November 10th or so my life is consumed by a massive bubble which circles over me, and I think it is called the End of Year Blues.

No, I'm not excited for Christmas, or even hopeful for the upcoming New Year, I'm just mega-fuckin'-melancholy about...what? The things I didn't achieve during the year? The things I need to achieve in the year to come to make up for everything I did not achieve in the year that is now close to over? Ho hum humbug.

So how do I cheer myself up from all these end of years tears? Christmas movies, of course.

Shit loads of them.

Possibly the most rewatchable genre, we bring a little of ourselves to every Christmas film. Nothing brings the family together on a Christmas Eve night like a cheery tale of hope and togetherness where all our dreams can and WILL come true. SO here is a list of my TOP 7 favourite Christmas films.

Am I right? Or have I just eaten too much egg nog (okay, I'll admit it, I have never actually HAD egg nog. WTF actually is egg nog??? I want some - now)?






Michael Caine plus Muppets - how could you go wrong? Turns out you can't. The songs kick ass and the story is an oldie but a goodie. Why Jim Carrey and Robert Zemeckis are wasting their breath making another version is beyond me. This for me is the definitive version of the film. Each muppet is used for the perfect role. There is nothing wrong with this film at all. Period.

#2 Elf



Before Will Ferrell started recycling the same performance over and over again he was fresh and exciting, and hilarious as the man-child elf wannabee who travels to New York to find his father, who is none other than JAMES CAAN!!! What a match-up. Plus the lovely Zooey Deschanel as his lady friend. Such a feel good heart-warmer, with enough for good stuff to satisfy the whole family.

#3 National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

A close contender for best Vacation film, tied with the original, who could ever forget the burnt cat in the Christmas tree, or Clark trying to get those lights to work. Comic gold.




#4 It's a Wonderful Life

Okay. I haven't seen this. But apparently it's great. So there.




# 5 Scrooged



Bill Murray and Christmas. How can you lose?


# 6 The Santa Clause

Tim Allen and Christmas. How can you lose? Well...very easily, but this is actually kind of great. Just ignore the two sequels.








Save the best for last. This is Billy Bob at his comedic peak, spewing forth bile and hate at anyone who'll listen but somehow displaying an underlying vulnerability, especially in his conversations with the young boy he unwittingly takes under his wing. This is GOOD Billy Bob, but perhaps we have this to blame for all the BAD Billy Bob (ie. nearly every film after Bad Santa). Come to think of it, why won't he make another Sling Blade? That rocked.

Okay, so what did I miss? A Mom For Christmas starring Olivia Newton-John?

No comments: